Friday, March 14, 2008

Mold-A-Rama



I recently rediscovered Mold-A-Ramas. I haven’t thought about them since the age of 9. They’re plastic figurines molded right before your eyes by a vending machine that looks like it could be right of a 1950’s sci-fi movie. Mold-A-Rama machines were usually located in zoos, museums, and theme parks. They produced all types of figurines, most were animals and dinosaurs but there were various mechanical themes as well, which included a steam locomotive, a submarine, a battleship and the space shuttle. These injection molding machines were developed in the mid 1950’s. Some Mold-A-Rama’s are still in use today, kept alive by inventive technicians creating parts by hand and hardware store acquisitions.

~Adam

Here's a video of a Mold-A-Rama in action:


For more photos of Mold-A-Rama figurines check out this flicker group:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/moldarama/pool/

4 comments:

Agony Peak said...

Sweet! I remember leaving my molds, from the zoo, in the back window of my mom's '66 mustang. The next day, they were puddles of goo. ;)

PearsonMaron said...

HA!

randimueck said...

I have never seen anything quite like that! I know when we were at the Oregon Coast Aquarium a couple of weeks ago, they had a machine that flatten and stamps a penny with the Aquariums logo and an eel. Not quite as cool as this though :p

It would have been really cool if it was one of these machines, making a crab or a fish!

PearsonMaron said...

I am glad you like them too. I have seen a killer whale and dolphin Mold-A-Rama that was available and still might be available at the Miami Sea Aquarium in Florida.

Squished pennies are more abundant souvenir vending machines. I found a cool website devoted to them. http://www.squished.com/featuresnew/features_101.html

-Adam

About Me

My photo
PearsonMaron is a collaboration between artists Quincy Pearson and Adam Maron. We specialize in monster magnets, unique knobs made from recycled metal, and lots of other interesting kitschy stuff. We are married and live in Southern California with our daughter and three mean cats.